Community Care and Health

*This section includes information about social services as well as health services.

Social Services are provided by Brighton & Hove City Council.  The kind of things that are covered by Social Services are very wide ranging and include Residential Care, Community Support  and Practical Support and adaptations to help people live independently in their own homes.

Are you eligible for help?

There is a set criteria to look at whether somebody is eligible for help. If it is decided that somebody is eligible, a Care Plan is drawn up with that person detailing what help they will receive and how this will be provided.

The Council has an Adult Social Care Access Point where you can apply for an assessment of your needs or find out about their eligibility criteria. Their website includes information about Access Point in different langauges also

The Community Short Term Service aims to support people discharged from hospital or to prevent unnecessary admission to hospital or long stay care.

Funding and Charging

The Council charges for most services and carries out a financial assessment to determine how much (if any) the person receiving the service has to pay towards the service. You can find out more on the Council’s Website.

Direct Payments are a way of receiving social services funding directly to you so you have more control over how the money is spent.

Some people use their Direct Payments to pay a Personal Assistant, who is employed by the person needing care to support them to live their lives more independently.

You can find out more information about Direct Payments and about employing a Personal Assistant at The Fed Centre for Independent Living.

The National Mind Booklets Community Mental Health and Social Care and Personal Budgets might also be useful.

Children’s Services

Children’s Services are run separately and include CAMHS who work with children and young people up to age 18.

Health Services

When accessing Health Services, the first point of call is usually your GP. You can get advice and information from The Fed Centre for Independent Living on Disability related matters. You can find more health information on the NHS Choices and the Information Prescriptions websites.

Health Costs

If you are on a low income, you may be able to get help with NHS costs through the low income scheme. The scheme covers, prescriptions, dental costs, eyecare costs, travel costs and wigs and fabric supports. Find out more information from the NHS.

Further Information

  • For more services providing information and support about community care and health, look in our directory
  • If you need advocacy about an issue to do with mental health and community care and health, our advocacy team might be able to help.
  • If you need individual advice, contact our Advice and Information Team.