Family Law

Relationship breakdown and other Family Law matters often include some of the most stressful situations we can face. As always, it is important to understand your rights and get access to specialist advice and support.

Legal Advice

If you need a solicitor you can use the Law Society website to search for a solicitor

You can get advice on all areas of Family Law from the Brighton and Hove Citizens Advice Bureau or from the National website Advice Guide.

Domestic Violence

Rise is a domestic abuse charity working in Brighton & Hove and West Sussex. Rise stands for Refuge, Information, Support and Education. Rise supports women, children, young people and LGBT people affected by domestic abuse.

The Freephone 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline, run in partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge, is a national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf.

General Family Information and Support 

You can find information on general family matters such as childcare from the Family Information Service.

You might also get parenting support from:

Your Health Visitor if you have one (usually if you have a child under the age of 5)

Your child’s school


The Parenting Team at Brighton & Hove Council offer Triple P Parenting Courses.

The National Mind booklet Parenting and Mental Health might be useful.

Relationship Help

For couples, Talking Therapies and Counselling are available from Relate.

Further Help